Monday, December 3, 2012

Blog Journal #6: Self Evaluation


1.
This semester in English 15S I learned how to meet with a group of random people selected for me and successfully complete a project with them. Never before have I been placed to work with individuals that I had never personally met before because in high school I knew everyone pretty well. Although I was nervous and worried at first it turned out that it was much easier to accomplish than I expected. I got along great with the people in my group and we even became friends in the process. We got our project done on time no problem and made it the best we possibly could with all of our brains put together.
On top of that I learned that going to a museum is not as boring as I always believed it to be because of English 15S. I would have never gone to the Palmer Museum here at Penn State if it were not for this class. By visiting it I realized that although I am not creative myself I could still enjoy looking at art created by other people. Viewing the art in this museum changed my perspective on museums because all of the museums that I have visited in the past with my parents did not appeal to me at all but the Palmer Museum did. I may have never gone to another museum in the future but as a result of going with my English class this year I most likely will now!
Throughout my four years at Penn State I probably would have not taken the time to visit the Arboretum either even though it is right down the road from my current dorm building. It was an amazing experience to get to walk around this beautiful garden with my classmates and teacher. As I was taking in the beauty of the plants and flowers around me I realized that, although I am not normally a nature lover, I could come to enjoy taking some time out of my day to appreciate it. This learning experience was extremely similar to that that I gained out of visiting the Palmer Museum. Through both I learned that it is not difficult to expand my hobbies and interests and try new things that I would normally try to avoid.
Lastly, what is an English class without learning about how to improve in one’s writing skills and techniques? I definitely learned about some tools for writing in my English 15S class this semester! Through this class I was taught how to shorten my sentences and make them more to the point in fewer words. I tend to make my sentences pretty lengthy so this benefitted me a lot. For example, I would normally write the sentence, “The boy opened up the closed container of pretzels.” In this sentence the word “closed” is not necessary because if the boy needs to open the container it was obviously closed in the first place. Therefore the sentence can really be written as, “The boy opened up the container of pretzels.” This sentence makes more sense and I am now able to realize that in my own writing.  


2.
1. State of the Arts- Palmer Museum Visit







8. The Persuasion of Art- Animal House Movie Review






3. Hi, Ms. S—I completed my SRTEs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment